Who Are We and Why Are We Headed for Shamrock?

We met online in 2005 trying to--what else--lose weight. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but we're not where we want to be. This is our journey to get fit and healthy. We invite you to follow us as we "exercise" our way across the country--track our progress on the map to Shamrock below-- in an effort to each lose 50 pounds by the end of 2009 and adopt a healthier lifestyle along the road.

Where will we go once we reach our goals? The sky's the limit... but we're thinking Greece would be nice.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Exercise is a Pain in the Neck

I hate exercise. Well, let me amend that. I hate carving out time in the day to dedicate just to keeping or getting in shape, and I hate the machines/videos/paraphernalia that go along with it. While I'm exercising in these artificial ways I often wonder what pioneers would think of people who can't stay in shape just by the hardship of daily life. I'd much rather multi-task and get my workout in while I'm doing actual work. But having said that, I much prefer my washer and dryer to a washboard and clothesline.

There are only three fitness activities that I like. That I love. Tennis, racquetball, and lap-swimming. None of these is available to me at this point in life. I could do those every day and never tire of them. But I can't. So I'm stuck with what I do have available to me. Surprisingly enough, that's a pretty large selection. I have: a treadmill, a home gym, a Total Gym, a stability ball, several sets of hand weights, Billy Blanks Boot Camp videos, Tamilee Webb workout videos, and a Wii Fit. I have also had Belly Dancing videos (that I sold on ebay) and Yoga Booty Ballet or whatever the heck it's called (sold those on ebay too). Plus, I have half a dozen fitness shows set to tape from FitTV. With all this variety, I still have a hard time wanting to exercise. I honestly don't know if it's because (1) I actually hate exercise, (2) my large body feels awkward and uncomfortable moving that way, or (3) I'm just lazy from years of sedentary-ness (which, by the way, is not a word). Maybe it's a combination of all three.

But given the option of either eating less or exercising more, I'll take exercising more. I just have to learn to love it I suppose. Maybe one day it will feel good. (I wonder what it's like to do aerobics and not feel like Ursula the Sea Witch from The Little Mermaid. ) But today, not only was it a pain in the neck figuratively, it was also literally a pain in the neck. I didn't wake up with a crick in my neck, but after exercising I had one. And still have one. I'm not going to use that as an excuse to stop moving though. I've got 4 muffins and a dessert to burn off. Heaven help me at this week's weigh-in. I'm sure gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment