Who Are We and Why Are We Headed for Shamrock?

We met online in 2005 trying to--what else--lose weight. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but we're not where we want to be. This is our journey to get fit and healthy. We invite you to follow us as we "exercise" our way across the country--track our progress on the map to Shamrock below-- in an effort to each lose 50 pounds by the end of 2009 and adopt a healthier lifestyle along the road.

Where will we go once we reach our goals? The sky's the limit... but we're thinking Greece would be nice.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 25: Daily Report





Breakfast

  • 2 scrambled eggs
  • 1/2 cup sauteed potatoes, onions, garlic
Snack
  • large handful of dry roasted peanuts
Lunch
  • orange
  • iced mocha
Dinner
  • kale (fresh from the garden yesterday!) sauteed in olive oil and garlic. This just in: I don't really like kale
  • garden burger, tomato, lettuce on 2 pieces sprouted bread
Water
  • 85 oz
Exercise
  • 6 mile hike-very hilly
Victories: Not passing out during or after that hike. Seriously. It's a big hill.

Defeats: Too many peanuts. Not enough lunch. Stupid mocha has way too much sugar... I don't really like mochas but my Marido brought it home to me thinking I would like it. It was a moment of weakness after the hike...but the moment was long enough to inhale the whole thing.

Observations: The hike was the same one I did last Monday. I don't know why it seemed harder. Maybe it was the wind and the rain.






Breakfast
  • 1 c. multi-grain cheerios
  • 6 oz. milk
Snack
  • 6 oz. Yoplait Strawberry Shortcake yogurt
  • 1 banana
  • bites of dishes cooked from food storage items (2 scoop Tostitos with homemade salsa, 1 itty-bitty Dixie cup with white bean soup, 2 1" x 2" pieces spice cake with frosting)
Lunch
  • 6 oz. Yoplait Pineapple Upside Down Cake yogurt
  • 2 large marshmallows
  • 3 ww tortillas
  • homemade salsa with corn and black beans
  • salad with 1 c. spinach, 1/2 oz. cheddar, 2 oz. chicken, salsa for dressing
Dinner
  • 8 oz. milk
  • 3 pieces homemade french toast with syrup
Dessert
  • 2 large marshmallows
Water
  • 74 oz.
Exercise
  • day off
Calories/Fat/%: 1895 calories/25.5 g fat/13% fat

Victories: Stayed pretty well on track today. Fat grams under today, but averaged with yesterday it's perfect. Brought a banana to eat in the car on the way home from church so I wouldn't inhale the entire kitchen upon walking in the door at lunchtime. Homemade salsa was so good.

Defeats:
Still not enough water. Too many carbs, not enough produce.

Observations:
The food storage items--in our church we really encourage people to store food for emergencies, whether they be natural disasters or loss of income. But sometimes learning to cook with those items in order to rotate them can be tricky. So one of the ladies at church has started bring samples of food made with these items to help people see that there are lots of things to make with them. The cake was made with bean puree instead of oil, and it was SO good.

2 comments:

  1. Cake with bean puree? I'm all about the purees, as you know, so I'll be hitting you up for that recipe at some point! I also want to more about the food storage stuff. I've never been organized enough to figure that all out, Peggy Sue, but I think it's a good idea for everyone to be more self-sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the recipe via email, BL, so I'll post it in a sec. As for the food storage...yes, it's an excellent idea to be prepared. That website I linked to from my church is a great resource.
    http://providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html
    That page has info on obtaining a 3-month supply, water storage, having money saved up, as well as longer term storage. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. Hey, maybe I'll take a pic of my loaded pantry and let you see our storage. Uh, after I clean it, that is.

    ReplyDelete