Who Are We and Why Are We Headed for Shamrock?

We met online in 2005 trying to--what else--lose weight. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but we're not where we want to be. This is our journey to get fit and healthy. We invite you to follow us as we "exercise" our way across the country--track our progress on the map to Shamrock below-- in an effort to each lose 50 pounds by the end of 2009 and adopt a healthier lifestyle along the road.

Where will we go once we reach our goals? The sky's the limit... but we're thinking Greece would be nice.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

40% off? Did someone say 40% off?

There I was, in a bookstore with a 40% off coupon, valid for one day only, and a gift card. What was I to do? Leave? Leave without a couple of nice new books in my possession? Impossible. As I walked aimlessly through the front of the store, I saw the sign for the children's section and headed in that direction. I saw a coworker. She asked me what I was going to buy. I did not know. Yet. And then I saw it... The Boxcar Children. I'd bought my son a set of The Boxcar Children books, but they were based on the original books, not the ones I read when I was about seven years old. I had an old hard cover copy of the first book in the series. I loved those kids. The orphaned siblings who took care of each other and slept in the woods or in haystacks or in... you got it...a boxcar after their parents died. Eventually they go to live with their grandfather who moves their boxcar to his backyard as their play house where they dream up amazing adventures and solve mysteries. I don't know what it was about those stories, but I loved them. And so I was a bit disappointed when my son's books arrived before Christmas. They're ok, but not as good as I remembered, so I was thrilled to find the first and second installations in the series, originally published in 1942. I grabbed them and headed to the register, but then...


I saw the red cloth cover from afar. It looks and feels like an old book. Like a treasure of a book you'd find at a yard sale or a thrift shop. But it's not. It's only been out for a year or two and it's wonderful. The Dangerous Book for Boys. I love that there are only two sentences on the back jacket and they say it all. It's such a back to basics book. I love it and I bought it.

But wait. What's that? I recognize that cover... it's the cookbook that Peggy Sue just posted about: Deceptively Delicious. It's so cute and clever. The spaghetti pie looks like a winner. I made the "Buttered" Pasta for dinner tonight... without the butter, but with the butternut squash puree that I happen to have in the freezer. It was good. The kids ate it with no questions asked.

Four books for $20? Now that's my idea of a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment