Who Are We and Why Are We Headed for Shamrock?

We met online in 2005 trying to--what else--lose weight. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but we're not where we want to be. This is our journey to get fit and healthy. We invite you to follow us as we "exercise" our way across the country--track our progress on the map to Shamrock below-- in an effort to each lose 50 pounds by the end of 2009 and adopt a healthier lifestyle along the road.

Where will we go once we reach our goals? The sky's the limit... but we're thinking Greece would be nice.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Betty Lou leaves her heart in San Francisco


This past week I've "seen" some beautiful views. I'll need to keep these in mind when I'm in the middle of the dessert in a couple of months. I started out in San Rafael, California. It's a cute little town in the heart of Marin County just north of San Francisco.

There are at least two options when starting out toward Shamrock from San Rafael. One of those options became a much easy path when the San Rafael bridge was finished in 1955. You can see by this photo that heading further south by way of the Golden Gate Bridge is a safer and more scenic option. So I head in that direction and traveled though the towns of Larkspur, Mill Valley, and Sausalito.

Sausalito has the most beautiful views of SF bay and the city itself. It was originally a small fishing town but has grown to quite the tourist attraction and weekend escape from San Francisco. Boating on the bay is great way to speand the day as long as you bundle up. Even in the summer the fog rolls in and it's freezing!

Just below Sausalito is the gorgeous Golden Gate Bridge. No matter how many times I cross it, I never fail to notice how beautiful and grand it is. Crossing it into San Francisco, with the view of the city out in front is a vision to behold.

Once I cross the bridge, I head through the city in the direction of the Bay Bridge. I see it all: the hilly streets, Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, and the cable cars. I'm tempted to stop for a loaf of sourdough or some Ghirardelli chocolate, but I think better of it. There are tons of cute neighborhood cafes along my route as well as amazing shops and kinds of other distractions. But I stay focused, put one foot in front of the other and continue my journey. I'll leave San Francisco tomorrow as I head southwest. I don't mind leaving my heart in San Francisco... along with a few pounds...because I know I'll be back. Home is where the heart is, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment