Who Are We and Why Are We Headed for Shamrock?

We met online in 2005 trying to--what else--lose weight. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but we're not where we want to be. This is our journey to get fit and healthy. We invite you to follow us as we "exercise" our way across the country--track our progress on the map to Shamrock below-- in an effort to each lose 50 pounds by the end of 2009 and adopt a healthier lifestyle along the road.

Where will we go once we reach our goals? The sky's the limit... but we're thinking Greece would be nice.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cookies with a Conscience


I made cookies today. Now, don't jump down my throat! I used a recipe from Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious. I got it for Christmas, and have been dying to try it out. I sat down with my extremely picky 10-year-old and asked him to pick a recipe to try today. "DESSERTS!" he yelled out. Fine. Desserts. (insert eye-rolling here)

He picked the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, which calls for a can of chickpeas. Then we looked through the whole book with him saying, "That sounds like it would be good," to recipes like Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower and Macaroni & Cheese with Butternut Squash. No big deal you say? Uh....you don't know this kid. His tag line is "Vegetables are my arch enemy."

So I'm feeling good that maybe he's showing a little more open-mindedness than before. They're just about to come out of the oven so we'll see what the verdict is. Hold on a second.

Okay. I'm back. Verdict? They're pretty good. They end up with that kind of cake-y texture common with healthy versions of evil cookies. Granted...they're not my to-die-for Oatmeal Raisin Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. But they're pretty good. Oh wait. Let's get 10yo's verdict........3 out of 5 stars, he says.

Order Jessica's book

No comments:

Post a Comment