Who Are We and Why Are We Headed for Shamrock?

We met online in 2005 trying to--what else--lose weight. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but we're not where we want to be. This is our journey to get fit and healthy. We invite you to follow us as we "exercise" our way across the country--track our progress on the map to Shamrock below-- in an effort to each lose 50 pounds by the end of 2009 and adopt a healthier lifestyle along the road.

Where will we go once we reach our goals? The sky's the limit... but we're thinking Greece would be nice.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Betty Lou Gets Clear, Gets Organized, and Gets Skinny!

We could sit here all day and gripe about how hard/impossible/unfair this whole weight loss thing is, right? About how wish we had more time to exercise, or sleep, or plan, or get organized or [enter your need here].... or that we were pampered celebrities so that we could just hire a chef, or a personal trainer, or a plastic surgeon or a [enter your wish here]. But that's not getting us anywhere, is it? I mean, we've done that already, so we know that's not all that effective. Sure, Peggy Sue, we've both lost a little, but we've also backtracked a lot. So, once again, I'm thinking we need to circle the wagons, rally the troops, call in for reinforcement, put on our big fat girl pants (or would that be our fat big girl pants) and get this thing over with. What in the world are we waiting for?

I know this will come as huge news to you, PS, but it's all about the math and planning. And you know that math was never my strong suit, so maybe that's why it's taken me all this time to just put all down on paper, but that's what I did last night. I figured what my calories intake and activity level should be daily and weekly in order to lose 2 pound a week. Is it unrealistic to expect 2 pounds a week? Perhaps. But I'll work for 2 and be happy enough with 1 a week. I may not be good at math, but I can handle this. I'm perfectly happy to make this all one big math problem and take the emotion out of it as much as possible. Just look at the whole objectively. It's not forever... I mean it is forever, but it will only be this hard for a little while. Right? Please tell me I'm right. Pretty please?

So here, once again, is my plan:
  • Track and count, track and count. 1600 calories per day. Whole, organic foods as much as possible. Lots o' fruits, veggies and lean proteins...the usual.
  • Move and sweat, move and sweat. Burn 2600/week (using 100 cals per mile or 15 mins other cardio)
  • Sip and drink, sip and drink. 100 oz water/day
  • Sleep and dream, sleep and dream. Minimum 7 hours per night.
and finally
  • Plan and plan, plan and plan. Plan to the cows come home. Plan meals, plan time to exercise, plan everything. I realize that no matter what I manage to achieve by doing the things above, if I don't go back to approaching this in an organized way I'll go back to square one the very moment I lose focus and try to wing it. So plan and plan and then plan the plan some more.
It's doesn't get more basic than that. Does it?


No comments:

Post a Comment